Introduction

Over the last few years I have been lucky enough to live in Thailand, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Colombia and now Brunei. In my spare time I have had the opportunity to travel fairly widely, camera in hand, in search of wildlife. In these posts I aim to share some of these experiences and show you some of the extraordinary wildlife that can be found in these regions. All of the photographs you see within the posts and pages here are my own unless otherwise stated. Copyright © Francis Burlingham 2015

Sunday 12 July 2015

Tarantulas at Fraser's Hill

On a recent trip to Fraser's Hill in Peninsular Malaysia, I managed to take these photographs of  the Malaysian Purple Femur Tarantula (Coremiocnemis hoggi). These tarantulas live in burrows in the earth and can be found in the banks of the trails and roadsides at Fraser's Hill. I managed to take the following shots at the head of the trail to Jeriau waterfall.
Tarantula in its burrow.
The Tarantula on the way out.


I managed to coax the spider out of its hole by using a thin stick to tap the web at the front of the hole to mimic the movements of a passing insect. It came out with sudden, lightening fast movements. Shortly after I took these shots, realising there was no prey to grab, the spider darted back into its hole.

Another tarantula on the roadside on the way back from The Old Smokehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment