Introduction

Over the last few years I have been lucky enough to live in Thailand, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Colombia and now Brunei. In my spare time I have had the opportunity to travel fairly widely, camera in hand, in search of wildlife. In these posts I aim to share some of these experiences and show you some of the extraordinary wildlife that can be found in these regions. All of the photographs you see within the posts and pages here are my own unless otherwise stated. Copyright © Francis Burlingham 2015

Friday 15 January 2016

Penang's Giant Squirrel.


Just before Christmas I spent a weekend on the island of Penang off the west coast of Malaysia. Whilst there I made a brief visit to it's national park. As time was short, rather than walking the main trails, I hired a boat at the park head quarters and used this to visit two of the main beaches in the park; Monkey Beach and Turtle Beach.



Turtle Beach is picturesque but no good for swimming on account of venomous jellyfish. Turtles nest here and there is a turtle sanctuary with a visitor centre on the beach.


There were a number of baby green sea turtles that had recently hatched on display in a large tub.
The meromictic lake behind the beach was unfortunately rather dry but was full of fiddler crabs and a few wading birds.


On the way back from Turtle beach we stopped at Monkey Beach for a snack at one of the small food stores on the beach. The beach is named after the large number of scavenging macaques that can sometimes be a nuisance.  However this is where I managed to get some good shots of a pair of beautiful giant black squirrels (Ratufa bicolor) that were hanging out by the beach.




No comments:

Post a Comment