Introduction

Over the last few years I have been lucky enough to live in Thailand, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Colombia and now Brunei. In my spare time I have had the opportunity to travel fairly widely, camera in hand, in search of wildlife. In these posts I aim to share some of these experiences and show you some of the extraordinary wildlife that can be found in these regions. All of the photographs you see within the posts and pages here are my own unless otherwise stated. Copyright © Francis Burlingham 2015

Friday 5 February 2021

Borneo, Brunei and Sarawak

Nasalis larvatus (Proboscis Monkey) Bako NP Sarawak Borneo 

At the end of 2013, I travelled to Borneo for a week, staying with friends in Brunei Darussalam. I also crossed the border to Miri in Sarawak and flew to Kuching, staying at the Permai Rainforest resorts tree houses. From there I took a trip by long tail boat to Baku National Park before returning to Brunei.

Brunei Darussalam

Visiting Borneo was the fulfilment of a childhood dream and I was not disappointed by the forest areas that I visited. However driving through the vast expanses of palm oil on the island was depressing. Number one on my must see list were the proboscis monkeys, I have always wanted to see these since watching them on wildlife programmes as a child. I saw them both at Baku NP in Sarawak and on the main river near Brunei Darussalam.

Nasalis larvatus (Proboscis Monkey) Bako National Park, Sarawak, Borneo 

I also saw Silver Langurs both in Brunei and at Permai resort near Kuching as well as plenty of long tail macaques.

Trachypithecus cristatus (Sundaic Silvered Langur) Brunei Borneo

Macaca fascicularis (Crab-eater Macaque) Brunei Borneo
Trachypithecus cristatus (Sundaic Silvered Langur) Sarawak Borneo

The Permai Resort near Kuching, Sarawak, was a great place to spot wild life, as its grounds were right in the rain forest where a small river meets the sea. At night, I found perhaps my favourite lizard of all time, with stunning blue eyes and a fabulous row of spikes on its back.  

Gonocephalus liogaster (Orange-ringed Anglehead Lizard) Male Near Kuching Sarawak

I found two pit vipers in the area near the resort.

Tropidolaemus wagleri (Temple Viper) Near Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo 

There were also crabs climbing the trees.


This beautiful swallowtail moth was also in the grounds.

Lyssa zampa Near Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo 

I also found my first colugo in the trees at night near my room.

Galeopterus variegatus (Sunda Colugo) 
Near Kuching, Sarawak,  Borneo

The trip to Baku National Park by narrow boat across a choppy wet season sea was a bit rough but ultimately worth it.

Sus barbatus (Sunda Bearded Pig) Bako NP Sarawak Borneo

The Sunda Bearded pigs were a highlight alongside the proboscis monkeys.

Sus barbatus (Sunda Bearded Pig) Bako NP Sarawak Borneo

Sus barbatus (Sunda Bearded Pig) Bako NP Sarawak Borneo

Back in Brunei, I found plenty of pitcher plants.

Nepenthes rafflesiana Brunei 
Nepenthes rafflesiana Brunei 

Whilst in Brunei I also visited Ulu Temburong NP, his was reached by boat and the final stretch up rapids in a motorised hollowed out canoe. 


Gonocephalus borneensis (Borneo Anglehead )
Temburong Brunei
Nasalis larvatus (Proboscis Monkey)
Brunei Borneo

Dysphania sps (Blue Tiger Moth)
Temburong Brunei
Dysphania sps (Blue Tiger Moth)
Temburong Brunei

Giant Ant Brunei Borneo

No comments:

Post a Comment